Wednesday 9 December 2015

Lucian Bernhard

Lucian Bernhard
Was a German graphic designer, professor, interior designer, type designer and artists during the first half of the twentieth century. He was very influential in the stylish work such as, Plakatstil. He was mostly taught by himself. He uses a bold sense of shapes, almost quite abstract like in the use of his simple shapes and smooth style, he also makes sure to use some 3D aspects in his work, by adding tones in some of his designing work, he also has used a minimal colour palette; limiting his colours to 3-4 for some of his work. I have found a quote of his - "You see with your eyes, not your brain", this means that you should base what you like or dislike by what you feel when you look at it not what other people think about it.

My finished interpretation of Lucian Bernhard's style

^^I have produced my own response to Lucian Bernhard's work^^   I started off with looking for a shoe image; saving it and opening it up into Photo shop. Once I had done this I was able to use the 'Magnetic Lasso Tool' (Because of the white background in the image I could of used the 'Magic wand' as a more professional tool rather than the 'magnetic lasso tool'). and drew around the shoe and hiding the white layer behind the image. I was able to save it as a PDF file and 'place' it into Illustrator. Once I had done this I selected the image and 'image traced' it and was able to select the 'colour' option and decide between how many colour I wanted to use out of the choice between 2-30 colours. I selected the colours I wanted and then went onto the typography part, by typing in 'Converse' (the make of the shoe) I was able to select the style I wanted; after looking through all the different stylish fonts I decided to use 'Times New Roman' and making it bold. I then was able to add another layer and select a background colour which would fit in with the font and shoe colour; making sure not t contrast with them. I chose a light blue as I thought it didn't contact with the black shoes and dark blue typography. My first attempt at this it didn't work when changing the colour for the images background when I attempted to 'Expand' it as the white shoe laces bled in with the white image background so I changed it around a bit and changed it from 9/30 colours to 30/30 colours. I was then able to change the colour of the background without any problems. I have; like Lucian; used a limited colour palette, limiting it to only a few colours, placing a basic image into Illustrator; keeping the designs of it all simple; making the typography stylish and bold and making good use of my space on the page by enlarging the image and the typography.

Original Image which I selected
from the Internet














No comments:

Post a Comment