Wednesday 27 January 2016

Michael Craig Martin

Michael Craig Martin
Michael is known for his painting, drawing and for being a conceptual aritst. Fine Art at the Yale School of Art and Architecture. He was mainly self taught. His first solo exhibition was held in the Rowan Gallery, London, in 1969. Over the past 42 years his work has been exhibited and installed in galleries and museums across the world. He has also widely recognised for his effective and influential teacher. His teaching career started in 1906.

His work intrigues me, with his use of bright colours, simplistic aspect and contrasting colours. I also like the different aspects of his work, it looks as though he would choose a random or selected background colour, and add on top simplistic and bold shapes and objects on top creating his unique piece of work. In addition to this, I also like how his work vary's from cluttered to simple. in his switch of how many objects he chooses to present in his work.


His work uses multiple formal elements and these include: Colour - He uses a wide range of colours, making his colour palette very big and open to many light and dark elements to his work. Line - In his work he ensures that he uses dark black thin lines which show all the detail and make his work bold and it also makes all of the objects stand out from each other. Shape - His work consists of different objects and shapes which is one of the ways which makes his work so unique. His shapes are very simplistic and basic making each shape equivalent and stand out roughly the same. Form - He works in a flat 2D form, but with his use of depth in the shapes he paints and draws with the bold outline, he adds a 3D element to his pieces.



In relation to my Rubix cube work I have used a lot of tone and a little more of a complex aspect in comparison to Michael Craig martin. His work his more simplistic, bright and includes multiple shapes and objects; whereas mine is more tonal, uses light colours and is not presented with a bold outline. I also feel as though his work has had more of a thought process in the presentation and the use of colours which I feel my final rub cube piece lacks. In comparison to my etch a sketch work, I feel as though my work relates more to his work as he and I both have used books of colour with no tone, simplistic elements, used one or more objects in our work and used shape and pattern elements. Like his work I tried to add a simple idea by only using one object as my main representation of my advertisement of the 'London Toy Festival 2016'.








No comments:

Post a Comment