Monday 7 March 2016

Jake Winkle

Jake Winkle


Jake Winkle is an watercolour artist who has multiple exhibits widely in the South of England was a finalist in the Daily Mails' Not the turner prize competition in 2004. He got his inspiration from light and movement which helped him to create some of his most amazing watercolour pieces of artwork. He is also known for teaching all over the country and runs his own workshop and masterclasses in dorset. In my opinion, I feel as though his work shows a good use of colour and depth of watercolours. I have also noticed that he paints many aspects of wildlife and horse racing. Jake uses multiple formal elements in his work, which include: Colour, Shape, Tone, Pattern and Form



In this piece of his work he has used: Colour - He has kept to a colour palette of about 6 colours which he has used together well. Shape - He has used the complex shape of a butterfly and with using watercolours added a simplistic form. Tone - On the butterfly he has used limited tonal elements, but shows some tone in the watercolours in the splash of colour he has added to the background. Form - He works in a clear 2D form but adds an element of 3D effect to his work with his brush marks and small amount of tone. Pattern - He has also used a realistic look on the aspect of the butterfly by adding in patterns of the butterflies wings. 

In relation to my rubix cube work he has used more of a complex and detailed element when he looks at wildlife and horse racing. However, in comparison to me he mainly focus on one element; which for him is animals, I have also done that when making my rubix cube. We have both also worked in the same media which adds some comparison between both of our pieces of work. I focused mainly on one object and I came up with different ideas in ways to present it in the best way possible for it to stand out. He also works with using a messy element to his work with adding a splash of colour to the background. I also did this with the watercolours I used, making the colours blend adding some mess and uniqueness to my work. In relation to my etch a sketch work, I have used a different media and my work is more simplistic due to the media which I used compared to the watercolours and subject of art Jake has produced. I also feel as though he added elements of tone and a big colour palette; which in addition to my etch a sketch piece, I used a limited colour palette consisting of 5 colours and with no tone added, which adds to the bold and stand out effect that I wanted.















No comments:

Post a Comment